As I mentioned previously pigs in a blanket are one of my favorite things, ever. This is still true, even after eating 60 of them recently. Today I bring you a keto pigs in a blanket recipe! We totally had this ready on friday and needed to transfer pictures over for it, and then totally forgot about it, sorry!!! I know many of you cannot eat einkorn though or are eating low carb. Which I am back trying to eat low carb so certainly einkorn is out. I’ve pretty well ignored fathead dough recipes since they contain both almonds and dairy which our kids can’t eat. I was hungry the other day so I decided to give it a try and it is about as amazing as people say!
The nice thing about these compared to an einkorn or other flour based pigs in a blanket is that it comes together super fast and you aren’t waiting 4 hours to eat them. 20-25 minutes with baking and you are enjoying delicious keto pigs in a blanket! Funny thing I looked over about 10 different existing recipes and the base recipe is all the same. So I guess no one gets to claim bring the original inventor of fat head dough. Without further ado lets get to the recipe!
Keto Pigs in a Blanket
Yields about 20 Cocktail Sausage size pigs in a blanket
1 3/4 Cup Shredded Cheese (See Note)
3/4 Cup Fine Almond Flour
2 Tablespoons Cream Cheese
1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Italian Seasoning
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
20 Cocktail Sausages or the equivalent
- Preheat oven to 425
- Put the cheese and cream cheese in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 1 minute and stir. Cook for 30 more seconds.
- Add everything else but the sausages and stir until well combined.
- Wrap the sausages in your dough, you have 2 options
- Wet your hands and take a pinch of dough and flatten it out a bit and wrap it around the sausage
- Take a piece of parchment paper and light spray it with pan spray, take half your dough, and place another piece of spray parchment on top. Roll out to a little less than a 1/4 inch. Cut into the dough size you prefer and wrap around your sausage
- Place your keto pigs in a blanket on a parchment or baking mat lined pan and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and delicious!
- You should probably let these cool first…
- Typically people use mozzarella cheese for fat head dough because it melts the best. It also has the mildest flavor, cheddar is way tastier but also does not melt as the well so the texture may not be as good. Experiment to find your preference!
- We really like these uncured cocktail sausages from costco.
- If you have leftover dough roll it out and bake it for less time and you have crackers!