Waffles or pancakes? I feel like there is quite the divide between people on that question. That is, of course, not even talking about Belgian vs regular waffles, thin and crispy vs fluffy pancakes. Certainly the debates can go on and on. For me, it very much depends on the mood I am in as I love them both. Obviously, in our household, they always have to be gluten free waffles or pancakes, too.
Our oldest daughter requested waffles for her birthday breakfast, and with the current state of food allergies in our home, we had to go digging for a new recipe. My wife found this one and it is quite good! They are light and crispy, but also paleo, though they are not low carb due to the tapioca starch. Their only downside, I would say, is if you are making a lot and holding them in the oven they might start to soften just a bit. They are still quite good, but they don’t hold super crisp, so you might want to work in batches. They are really delicious though, and I highly recommend you try these gluten free waffles! We did use a regular waffle iron and not a Belgian waffle maker. If you make these in a belgian waffle maker, let us know how they come out!
1 Cup Blanched Almond Flour
1 Cup Tapioca Flour
2 T coconut flour
2 t baking powder
¼ cup melted coconut oil (or melted butter)
1 t apple cider vinegar
1 cup almond milk (or any milk of your choice)
- Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturer’s instructions
- Place all dry ingredients in a large bowl and whisk until all lumps have been removed
- Add liquid ingredients and whisk for 2 minutes or until batter has thickened. Batter will be similar to a thin pancake batter
- Spray or wipe on a thin layer of oil onto waffle iron (I only did this the first time, possibly even unnecessary)
- Cook waffles according to your waffles irons instructions (I used about a 1/3 cup for our iron)
- Enjoy with lots of good butter and excellent maple syrup!
This recipe is originally from Nurture My Gut.
These are a great quick, easy, delicious waffle that the whole family can enjoy and the kids can help make! They have really good texture that compares well with “normal” waffles! Use these waffles to make your day a tasty day and let us know if you like them 🙂